Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Atletico Can’t say No to £40M bid for Aguero


Sergio Aguero looks set to become the newest addition to Manchester City’s roster of highly paid stars following reports he is travelling reports he is travelling to London to discuss signing a five year deal with the club.

City are said to have offered Atletico Madrid almost £40M for Aguero, who failed to return to training for as expected on Monday and has made it clear that he wants to leave the La Liga club.

Roberto Mancini has admitted his interest in signing the Aguero regardless of whether Carlos Tevez leaves City this summer and is hopeful a deal can be struck up within the next couple of days.

Aguero is reported to have turned to fellow Argentine Pablo Zabaleta for information about life at Manchester City, which Mancini will be hoping counterbalances the of numerous complaints Carlos Tevez has had about his time at the club.

 A five year contract with wages of around £200,000 per week is what is expected to secure Aguero's services at Eastlands.

Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Make me Mod-Rich: Spurs Star Worth 'Way in Excess of £30m'

Harry Redknapp remains convinced that wantaway star Luka Modric will stay at Spurs following an increased bid from Chelsea for their star playmaker.

The Blues are reported to have returned with a £27m bid for Modric, after an initial bid of £22m was turned down last month.

Roman Abramovich is understood to be a keen admirer of the Croatian midfielder, but the Spurs boss has insisted that even bids in excess of £30m would not tempt them to sell.

'I still think £27 million is a pretty poor offer for a player of that ability,' said Redknapp. 'It's not anywhere near what I'd value him at if he was for sale, but he's not for sale. That's the end of it, the chairman's made his stance and that's it.'

When asked if bids of £30 million would be enough to swing the deal he stated, 'I don't think so. I honestly value him at way, way in excess of that. Even if they offered that the chairman has said he's not for sale.'

Modric has admitted that joining Chelsea would be a 'dream' move for him which has led to speculation that he may hand in a transfer request to try and force through the deal.

However Redknapp believes that it would not change anything stating, 'I wouldn't have thought it would have an effect on the situation.'

'He's off to South Africa tomorrow. He's the last lad in the world that would ever cause a problem. I've come across players who would want to go who would be a real problem, but that's not his nature.'

Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Arsene No Mates: Arsenal Manager Faces Summer of Discontent

The ongoing trophy drought at Arsenal looks set to cost them dearly in the summer transfer window, as a number of their biggest stars head towards the Emmirates exit door.

The growing disillusionment amongst many of the Arsenal players has led to talk of a ‘mass exodus’ at the club, which could be sparked by the departure of captain Cesc Fabregas.

Fabregas is expected to express his desire to leave Arsenal face to face meetings with Arsene Wenger this week, with the 24-year-old eager to finally secure a return to his boyhood club Barcelona.

Gael Clichy has already left Arsenal for Manchester City citing his desire to ‘win things’ as his reason for leaving and recent comments from Samiri Nasri suggest he could soon be leaving for the similar reasons.

Nasri has rejected a £90,000-a-week contract extension at Arsenal and is also expected to be having final showdown talks with Arsene Wenger in which he is expected to formally request to leave the club.

In a recent interview with the News of the World Nasri said ‘The priority is to make a big career and to win titles. This is more important than everything else. With no titles under your belt, you can’t be in the list for the Ballon D’Or.’

‘I came to England to get trophies because I haven’t won anything in my career, apart from an Under-17 European Championship in 2004.’

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Brucie Bonus: Black Cats Summer Spending Spree Continues

Sunderland have been one of the most active Premiership sides in the early stages of the transfer window, with a total of six new players being added to the squad.

The big money sales of stars Darren Bent, Jordan Henderson and Kenwyne Jones has meant Steve Bruce has plenty of money available for rebuilding his squad for the start of next season.

Bruce has  took his total signings this summer to six as strikers Connor Wickham and Ji Dong-won, midfielders Sebastian Larsson and Craig Gardner and goalkeeper Keiren Westwood joined the Black Cats.

Craig Gardner is understood to have been brought in to fill in the midfield role left vacant by Jordan Henderson’s high profile switch to Liverpool.

Speaking following his move to Sunderland Gardner said, 'It's unbelievable, to be honest. As soon as I found out Sunderland were interested, it was a no-brainer.'

'Obviously, I have heard so much about Steve Bruce and his backroom staff and how good a chairman Niall Quinn is.'

'It's such a massive club and their ambitions for this season meet my ambitions, and it was too good to turn down.'